[Dnsmasq-discuss] Finding actual DNS server used

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Jan 14 16:06:39 GMT 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 03:40:52PM +0100, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> > I've not spotted anything in the manual page that stands out for that
> > purpose.
>
> There is not much point for it, is there? I mean, if dnsmasq has
> upstream servers (possibly per request domain) and acts as a local
> server, it is so that DNS clients on the LAN do *not* have to know
> these upstream servers.
>
> Or maybe I am missing something. What is your use case?

Well for one it's useful to be able to check whether dnsmasq is using
a sensible DNS server.

On my home LAN I have a full dnsmasq running on a Raspberry Pi and
point all the other systems at that for DNS.  The other systems
include a number of xubuntu Linux systems which run the 'local only'
dnsmasq which is run automatically by Network Manager.

Thus in my case, to prove that everything is working as intended, I'd
like to be able to see that all systems (except the Raspberry Pi) are
using the Raspberry Pi as their DNS server.  In addition I might also
want to check what upstream servers the Pi is using.

--
Chris Green