[Dnsmasq-discuss] Finding actual DNS server used

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 22:43:38 GMT 2017

Lars,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden at gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I get an already running instance of Dnsmasq to tell which DNS
> servers it is using to resolve new queries upstream?
>
> ​I am not sure that is the most reliable way to get the information you
are looking for.​ Any client App can try to use whatever DNS server it
wants to resolve names. That isn't polite, but it happens a lot with
smartphones, and IoT in general.

As far as the desktop OS, a user can override the DNS entries that DHCP
provides.

I lock my network clients into OpenDNS by using dnsmasq on my router
(Untangle's NGFW) pointed to their servers, and the firewall to block any
other attempts besides dnsmasq. The firewall then provides a handy log of
attempts to bypass my wishes.

Another way to see what is going on, is to run wireshark and filter for UDP
port 53.

dnsmasq can't know about things going around it.

Peace,

Jim A.