[Dnsmasq-discuss] Finding actual DNS server used

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 08:21:01 GMT 2017

On 01/15/2017 09:55 AM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> Le Sat, 14 Jan 2017 20:18:13 +0200
> Lars Noodén <lars.nooden at gmail.com> a écrit:
>>  Because it's not my system and it is remote, I
>> have to go step by step, slowly.
>
> ... Do you mean that you have good control of the remote system but
> have to go there physically to run tests, or that you do not have
> control of the system and must ask someone else to perform tests there?
> This makes a difference in the way you can run your tests

I have to describe the steps in e-mail and they are then carried out on
site by a non-technical person.

>> Since everything on that system, in
>> regards to DNS, is going via Dnsmasq, I'd like to see what it has
>> loaded and is using.
>
> This bring me back to your description of the bug above: "somewhere
> early on the DNS fails". What do you mean with that? Did you check
> that the client keeps sinding DNS requests to your dnsmasq?

The client application (Blink) will apparently default to Google's DNS
if it cannot connect to the server right away.  What's happening is that
half the time DNS replies, half the time it times out.  Thus the client
can start to register with the SIP server, but then fails to publish its
presence or be able to initiate a call.

> ... Or is
> it that they come back from your dnsmasq with an error code for domains
> which you know your dns should resolve properly?

It seems to be this -- sometimes.

So is the short answer that there's no direct or easy way to poll a
running Dnsmasq instance and see what it's pointing to?  If so, then
I'll not bother the list more with this issue.  However, may I put in a
feature request if there is a wish list?

Regards,
/Lars