[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fwd: dhcpv6 and clients in Oracle VirtualBox

e9hack+dnsmasq e9hack at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 19:26:30 GMT 2017

Hi,

VirtualBox exchanges the source/destination mac of all client packets to the mac of the host and vice versa. If a config
entry is searched by dnsmasq, first the duid will be compared. If no matching entry is found, the mac address is used
instead. Since no duid is configured for my clients in VirtualBox, dnsmasq searches for a matching mac. The packet
contains the host's mac, dnsmasq uses the config entry for the host. The client gets the name of the host. Dnsmasq can
not use the source mac of a packet to configure something.

Regards
Hartmut