[Dnsmasq-discuss] About UEFI PXE booting in proxy mode

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Jan 19 22:47:36 GMT 2017

Below is the reply I sent to your original mail to me. The reply
bounced, seemingly due to a misconfiguration of the MX record for your
domain. Hopefully this will get to you via the list.

- --------------

I can shed some light on this, but not give you a complete answer.

Firstly, your 2-not-working example fails because it's not using PXE.
PXE clients do sensible things when the "bootfile name" is set in DHCP
replies, which is what dhcp-boot does, but this isn't the complete PXE
protocol. Hence example one works. That trick doesn't work for
PXE-proxy, since you need the PXE protocol to do proxy. Any
configuration without pxe-service enabled will never work for PXE
proxy. That explains config 2.

Your example 3 - I'm confused why that shouldn't work - the PXE client
seems to be making further requests which are bring ignored. Would it
be possible for you to get a packet dump of that exchange using tcpdump?

Example 4 looks quite hopeful - the client is succerssfully
downloading the bootx64.efi file (ignore the error before, that's just
testing for the existance of the file.

Can you see what's displayed on the client system at this point?

On 18/01/17 14:36, Jr-Huang Shiau wrote:
> Dear all, I am having the same issue as Juan García-Pardo described
> here:
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2016q4/010931
.html

>  On Ubuntu 16.04, I use dnsmasq which is backported from Ubuntu
> 16.10: dpkg -l dnsmasq Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold |
> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Tri
g-pend

> ||/ Name                   Version          Architecture
> Description

ii  dnsmasq                2.76-5           all              Small