[Dnsmasq-discuss] IDN (internationalized domain name) support

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Tue Jan 31 22:59:31 GMT 2017

On 31/01/17 16:57, Simon Kelley wrote:

> It's included in the Debian, (and therefore Ubuntu) packaging.
>
> Of course the only difference it makes is to the interpretation of
> domain names in /etc/hosts and friends and config files. - IDNs get
> cached and forwarded by dnsmasq fine without the support being included.
>
> OK, it also affects logging, I think. göögle.com  appears in the logs
> göögle.com and not as xn--ggle-5qaa.com
>

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Knowing that LEDE's lack of compiling IDN support for dnsmasq prompted
this question I started investigating how easy it would be to do.

It highlighted an issue with LEDE/Openwrt libidn package install script
- fix PR here https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/3925

Another build option for LEDE's dnsmasq package is currently lurking in
my LEDE repo - I've not done a PR on that yet as I'm unsure how
LEDE/openwrt handles building a base package (dnsmasq) which references
libs outside the base build (openwrt/packages)
https://github.com/kdarbyshirebryant/lede-source/tree/dnsmasqidn

Kevin