[Dnsmasq-discuss] why does dnsmasq reject lease request?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Feb 2 16:25:30 GMT 2017

Some possible confusion here between DNS servers and DHCP servers. If
the two _DNS_ servers the OP refers to are both also DHCP servers,
then Jim's advice is good. If the OP has two DNS servers, one of which
is dnsmasq which is also acting as the DHCP server (which is how I
read it) then the problem looks like a broken DHCP client, which is
attempting to restart using a DHCP lease it has on some other DHCP
server.

On receipt of the DHCPNAK reply, it should react by doing a
DHCPDISCOVER and find a DHCP server and lease from scratch, rather
then continually retrying. A work around may be to remove whatever
state the broken DHCP client has (/var/lib/dhcp or similar, forget
leases using the GUI in Windows/Apple, factory reset for IoT-type stuff.