[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq drops CNAME cache entries when CNAMEs collide

Aaron Jacobs aaronjjacobs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:10:35 GMT 2017

Hi Simon,

> Answered here:
>
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2017q1/011068.h
> tml

Thanks for the pointer. Is there any chance I can convince you to revisit this?

I work in a high-latency office for a big company with lots of internal apps.
each on its own domain. They all point at the same CNAME (a proxy service), so
this is causing me and my coworkers considerable pain in the form of extra
latency.

In my totally uneducated intuition, it seems like a cache for CNAMES should be
a simple name -> name mapping, with the result feeding into a recursive cache
lookup process. In other words, maybe it should be separate from a cache of
names to records.

Thanks again,
Aaron