[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolving server's hostname

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Sun Feb 19 03:53:52 GMT 2017

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr>
wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
> Le Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:31:19 -0600
> Carl Karsten <carl at nextdayvideo.com> a écrit:
>
> > dc10b is the dnsmasq server
>
> Ok; and I assume that you are running 'host' on another machine, right?

yes.
also running it on dc10b.

> > I am using a modified version of this:
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/git/debconf-video/ansible.git/
> tree/roles/dhcp-server
>
> Can't say it tells me much. :)
>
> > I haven't checked in the mods yet because things are still a little
> > wonky. git diff ... skimmed, don't see anything that would affect
> > dnsmasq.
> >
> > juser at dc10b:~$ cat /etc/dnsmasq.d/local.conf
> > ## Ansible managed
> >
> > interface=eth-local
> > domain=lca2017.lan
> > dhcp-range=10.20.1.10,10.20.1.254,6h
> > dhcp-option-force=210,/srv/tftp/
> > dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0
> > dhcp-authoritative
> > enable-tftp
> > tftp-root=/srv/tftp
>
> And what's the /etc/hosts?

juser at dc10b:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1    localhost
127.0.1.1    dc10b

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Note: that is current.  I have been changing the dc10b line, but it should
be clear in my posts what it is when I show test results.

> > Hmm, on an openwtt ap running dnsmasq:
> >
> > root at tpap:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > search lan
> > nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >
> > root at tpap:~# cat /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost
> >
> > root at tpap:~# nslookup tpap
> > Server:    127.0.0.1
> > Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost
> > Name:      tpap
> > Address 1: 192.168.1.2 tpap.lan
>
> What's 'tpap' supposed to be?

192.168.1.2

so this install does what I would expect.

> Anyway, my guess: your dnsmasq server has its own name listed in
> its /etc/hosts with 127.0.1.1 as the matching IP,

correct

> and your dnsmasq
> config does not contain option no-hosts,

correct

> so your dnsmasq uses
> its /etc/hosts when resolving a name; ergo, it resolves its own name to
> 127.0.1.1.

correct

so if I set no-hosts, how does dnsmaq figure out how to resolve dc10b?

ore really, what should I be doing so that 'things work as I expect' ?