[Dnsmasq-discuss] Don't forward queries if another RR is present

Josh Soref jsoref at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 03:31:38 GMT 2017

> Am I right in thinking that the issue here is due to the host-record
> specifies an IPv4 and without an IPv6?
>
> IOW, with...
>
>          host-record=example.com,127.0.0.1,::1
>
> ... there would not be a problem, right?

Sounds right.

FWIW, I've been hitting this problem a lot. I'm glad someone raised it.

I hit it because of RFC 6555 - Happy Eyeballs.

My personal preference is for dnsmasq to realize that since it has an
A or AAAA or anything else, it isn't legal to return a CNAME and thus,
if it gets a CNAME from a recursive, it should drop it.

I'd be willing to look into writing a patch for this if there was an
indication that this was likely to be accepted.