[Dnsmasq-discuss] client-identifier in server reply

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Apr 11 12:14:26 BST 2017

On 10/02/17 01:22, Reddeiah Raju Konduru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using dnsmasq 2.72. In dhclient after setting client identifier to
> device mac address, I could see client-identifier option in DISCOVER and
> REQUEST messages. But dhcp server(dnsmasq) not setting client identifier
> option in OFFER and ACK replies.
>
> As per RFC 6842 Section 3, If client is sending client-identifier server
> also MUST include this option in reply.
>
> Is this feature implemented in dnsmasq?

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you need this feature for. Since
implementing it, we've found one client which is broken by the presence
of client-ids and there may be more which mysteriously stop working.
Possibly only sending the client-id under certain circumstances may work
for you, without breaking sensitive clients.