[Dnsmasq-discuss] define IPv6 prefix for host-records

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu May 11 12:51:43 BST 2017

You're trying to invent yet another way of solving the "naming IPv6
hosts" problem, made more difficult by the fact that they change
addresses as the delegated prefix changes.

There are a couple of other possibilities.

1) If you're using DHCP for IPv4, look at the dnsmasq "ra-names"
facility, which can make creating DNS entries for RA-allocated addresses
automatic.

2) Consider giving your hosts ULA addresses as well as addresses with
the prefix you get from you ISP. If you just want a DNS name that's
usable from the local net, then that gives you a stable address to
associate with the DNS name.