[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.77rc4

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun May 21 11:38:13 BST 2017

Am 20.05.2017 um 22:50 schrieb Simon Kelley:
> I've just mase the fourth, and probably final, release candidate for
> dnsmasq-27. Please download, compile and run, and report any problems
> ASAP. If all looks OK, 2.77 will happen in the next week.
>
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/release-candidates/dnsmasq-2.77rc4.tar.gz

Three issues during compilation on FreeBSD 10.3 amd64, which look like
genuine bugs, and the forward.c seem critical
- these should likely be "server->flags & SERV_DO_DNSSEC), with & not &&.

> forward.c:902:60: warning: use of logical '&&' with constant operand
> [-Wconstant-logical-operand]
>
> option_bool(OPT_DNSSEC_NO_SIGN) && (server->flags && SERV_DO_DNSSEC),
> NULL, NULL);
>
> ^  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> forward.c:902:60: note: use '&' for a bitwise operation
>
> option_bool(OPT_DNSSEC_NO_SIGN) && (server->flags && SERV_DO_DNSSEC),
> NULL, NULL);
>
> ^~
>
> &
> forward.c:902:60: note: remove constant to silence this warning
>
> option_bool(OPT_DNSSEC_NO_SIGN) && (server->flags && SERV_DO_DNSSEC),
> NULL, NULL);
>
> ~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> forward.c:1480:59: warning: use of logical '&&' with constant operand
> [-Wconstant-logical-operand]
>
> option_bool(OPT_DNSSEC_NO_SIGN) && (server->flags && SERV_DO_DNSSEC),
> NULL, NULL);
>
> ^  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> forward.c:1480:59: note: use '&' for a bitwise operation
>
> option_bool(OPT_DNSSEC_NO_SIGN) && (server->flags && SERV_DO_DNSSEC),
> NULL, NULL);
>
> ^~
>
> &
> forward.c:1480:59: note: remove constant to silence this warning
>
> option_bool(OPT_DNSSEC_NO_SIGN) && (server->flags && SERV_DO_DNSSEC),
> NULL, NULL);
>
> ~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> rfc2131.c:839:25: warning: data argument not used by format string
> [-Wformat-extra-args]
>                    service->basename, layer);
>                                       ^

I think you may want to resolve these before 2.77 release time.

And when trying to strip down the build disabling all options I expose
in FreeBSD, I get these, which are cosmetic and, in the option.c case,
are bloat.

The attached patch series (against Git master) fixes these. Use git am
to apply them in given order, and carefully review 0003* whether the
option_len() macro needs to be changed instead.

> option.c:910:23: warning: unused function 'add_rev6' [-Wunused-function]
> static struct server *add_rev6(struct in6_addr *addr, int msize)
>                       ^
>
> network.c:936:24: warning: unused variable 'l6' [-Wunused-variable]
>   struct listener *l, *l6;
>                        ^

You may consider resolving these before 2.77 with proper #ifdefs. I
don't care much.