[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasqd crash

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Tue Jun 20 10:53:08 BST 2017

Probably best to reply to the list as well where there are much better
experts than me.

On 19/06/17 22:39, Justin Jose wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thank you for the response. Here are my answers for your questions.
>
> Q. What version of dnsmasq?
>
> [Ans] The dnsmasq version I am using is 2.55.

2.55 is some 7 years old, 2.77 being released 2 weeks or so ago and 2.78
fixing a couple of oversights in that release due 'soon'.

> Q. hostname_isequal is used in quite a few places and should never be
> passed a null pointer, so in my opinion the fix is a sticking plaster
> over the issue and has the potential result of leaving null pointers
> hanging around for other functions to fall over anyway.  The root cause
> should be found and squished.  Any idea which particular call to
> hostname_isequal was involved?
>
> [Ans:] When the crash happened, the call to hostname_isequal is occured from forward_query at round line number 500.
>             I am not sure the reason for the NULL arguments here.

The first step here has to be to update to a much more recent version of
dnsmasq and see if the problem still occurs.  Is the error repeatable?
If so, that would make testing a lot easier.

Cheers,

Kevin