[Dnsmasq-discuss] IP6 DNS UDP strange behaviour

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Jun 27 10:09:23 BST 2017

What's probably happening is this.

1) query arrives from client,
2) UDP socket opened, and query send from socket to more than one
upstream server.
3) Reply arrives from fastest upstream server, reply returned to client.
4) upstream socket closed.
5) reply arrives from slower upstream server -> destination unreachable.

dnsmasq does the "send the query to all available servers" trick every
once in a while to find the fastest one.

If this is what you're seeing, it's a feature, not a bug.