[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple subnets on a single broadcast domain

Ignat Korchagin ignat at cloudflare.com
Sat Aug 5 19:29:56 BST 2017

Hi,

We have a use-case, where there maybe more than one subnet in a broadcast
domain and we want one DHCP server to serve directly connected clients in
these subnets.

Currently, dnsmasq requires having one IP address from each subnet
configured on DHCP server, otherwise it ignores DHCP requests from hosts,
which are configured with static IPs from other "foreign" subnets.

We have a patch, which allows "binding" "foreign" subnets in dnsmasq
configuration file to an interface (that is to a broadcast domain), so
dnsmasq will allocate IPs from these subnets as well even if it doesn't
have an IP in them.

We can submit the patch for upstream dnsmasq adoption, if the community is
interested in such use-case.

Regards,
Ignat