[Dnsmasq-discuss] cnames and dns working when ip not assigned

Spike spike at drba.org
Mon Aug 14 23:27:15 BST 2017

Dear all,

two things I'm trying to figure out:

#CNames
how can I implement cnames in dnsmasq? I have static per mac assignments in
my hosts file and I'd like to add one or more cnames per host. Is that
possible, what's the syntax? I've seen some pages discussing the topic, but
none of the solutions worked for me and more importantly none of them was
specifying more than one cname.

#DNS while host is down
As far as I can see dnsmasq will respond to a host request only if the host
is alive/got a dhcp. Is it possible to override this behavior? If I have a
host definition with an ip, I need that to resolve even if the host is down.

thanks,

Spike