[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq on FreeBSD not listening on specified interfaces

Jason Mann jason.mann+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 12:19:59 BST 2017

Hi list.

I'm running dnsmasq 2.77 on FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE.  dnsmasq was installed
from FreeBSD's package repository.

It's running on a gateway host with two Intel interfaces, originally named
igb0 and igb1 by the kernel.  I've made use of FreeBSD's interface renaming
feature to rename these 'lan' and 'wan'.  I've also created a lan.129 vlan
interface.

    # ifconfig -l
    lan wan lo0 pflog0 lan.129

I have tried to configure dnsmasq to listen only on 'lan' and 'lan.129'
(plus the implicit 'lo0') with the following directives:

interface=lan
interface=lan.129

However, after a restart, dnsmasq is still listening on all interfaces (*)

    # sockstat -l | grep "USER\|dnsmasq"

    USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN
ADDRESS
    nobody   dnsmasq    43007 4  udp4   *:67                  *:*
    nobody   dnsmasq    43007 8  udp4   *:53                  *:*
    nobody   dnsmasq    43007 9  tcp4   *:53                  *:*
    nobody   dnsmasq    43007 10 udp6   *:53                  *:*
    nobody   dnsmasq    43007 11 tcp6   *:53                  *:*

I also tried 'except-interface=wan', with the same result.

I can try setting the interfaces back to their original names, but that
will be service disrupting for my users.  Before I try that can anyone
suggest what might be wrong here?

Kind regards,

Jason