[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can dnsmasq capture DHCP traffic and update its leases table?

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Mon Feb 19 15:28:09 GMT 2018

I need a leases table that is as up to date as possible for my local network.

I do not however have any access the the DHCP server on the network to get its leases table.

I’m wondering if there is a way to configure dnsmasq so that it records all broadcast dhcp traffic that it sees, and updates it leases table.

That way I will have a local copy of the leases table that has been built up by watching DHCP traffic.

Is that possible with dnsmasq? If yes, how?  If not, can anyone suggest a lightweight alternative way to do that without resorting to something heavyweight like networking monitoring with wireshark?

thanks

Andrew