[Dnsmasq-discuss] Long nslookup times

Donald Muller donmuller22 at outlook.com
Fri Mar 2 17:36:03 GMT 2018

Geert,

Apologies if offended you in some way by emailing this list about some strange behavior I noticed when testing my dnsmasq setup. I admit that my Linux skills aren't strong but I am not looking for a consultant. What I was looking for was some assistance in determining whether the issue was with dnsmasq itself, my setup/configuration of dnsmasq, or somewhere else in which case I would bother someone else.

Thanks for your assistance so far. If anyone else would like offer suggestions please do.

Recap

2 computers on the same network. One running Windows server 2012 R2 with Microsoft DNS and DHCP and the other one a QNAP NAS running dnsmasq. Both connected to the same switch and both versions of DNS pointing to the same upstream DNS server which is my router which is not running DNS but just forwards the requests to my ISP DNS servers. The network is 1GB and there is not a lot of N/W traffic. A nslookup of www.microsoft.com using dnsmasq takes 40 seconds. The same lookup using the Microsoft DNS takes less than a second.

Thanks
Don