[Dnsmasq-discuss] lame response

Yeah stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Mar 5 17:00:58 GMT 2018

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 05:36:03PM +0000, Donald Muller wrote:
> 2 computers on the same network. One running Windows server 2012
> R2 with Microsoft DNS and DHCP and the other one a QNAP NAS running
> dnsmasq. Both connected to the same switch and both versions of DNS
> pointing to the same upstream DNS server which is my router which is not
> running DNS but just forwards the requests to my ISP DNS servers. The
> network is 1GB and there is not a lot of N/W traffic. A nslookup of
> www.microsoft.com using dnsmasq takes 40 seconds. The same lookup
> using the Microsoft DNS takes less than a second.

Nslookup --->  Name Server  ---x--> Next Name Server.

Move to x and do testing/checking/measuring there.

Find out why  Next Name Server is so lame in responding
when Name Server is dnsmasq.
Or find out what Name Server on MS Window 2012 is caching/lying/making up.

See also http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html