[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can tags be used with the address directive?

A C dnsmasq6pJH at acarver.net
Sat Apr 21 18:16:16 BST 2018

On 2018-04-21 05:41, john doe wrote:
> On 4/21/2018 10:02 AM, Sean Baughn wrote:
>> Hello. Is it possible to use tags with the address directive? Goal
>> being to
>> specify a name resolution response based on a tag match. Example of my
>> use
>> case:
>>
>> dhcp-mac=set:kids,XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX #My kids computer
>> address=tag:kids,/youtube.com/127.0.0.1
>>
>> The address line given above errors out. However I don't know if my
>> syntax
>> is incorrect, or if the use of tags in the address directive is invalid.
>>

> According to:
>
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

> So you can't use tags with the '--address=' option:
>
> $ dnsmasq --test
> dnsmasq: error at line 1 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
>
> $ awk 'NR==1' /etc/dnsmasq.conf
> address=tag:kids,/youtube.com/127.0.0.1

This wouldn't work for long because the kids could figure out how to get
around your DNS block by either changing the DNS server or just using a
public DNS lookup engine to find all of the destination's IP addresses
and going directly there (or a local hosts file).

Your best bet for a block is to use IP tables on the router and just
block access to all of the destination IPs when the source IP is the
kid's computer.