[Dnsmasq-discuss] Reponse time is huge for big payload SRV record on dnsmasq servers

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon May 7 14:33:26 BST 2018

That's large enough to need TCP.

What I'd expect top happen is that the upstream server returns an answer
with the truncated bit setin the header. This answer gets returned by
dnsmasq to the original requestor. The original requestor makes a TCP
connection to dnsmasq and re-sends the query. Dnsmasq makes a TCP
connection upstream and send the query, and gets the result. It then
send the result back down the TCP connection to the original requestor.

Anything blocking or distrupting TCP connections on port 53 is suspect.
An non-responsive upstream server will cause delays whilst the
connection times out.

Try running the query direct to the upstream servers using dig +vc