[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 with dnsmasq for automated deployments

Oliver Freyermuth o.freyermuth at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:49:59 BST 2018

Am 04.06.2018 um 18:46 schrieb wkitty42 at gmail.com:
> On 06/04/2018 07:36 AM, Oliver Freyermuth wrote:
>> Right now, I only know one could:
>> - Stop dnsmasq.
>> - Purge the lease from the leases-file.
>> - Restart dnsmasq.
>

> i think the process is:
>
>   rewrite the leases file as needed
>   HUP dnsmasq
>
> but i'm not positive... if not HUB, maybe one of the other signals... if none of them, then something with DBUS...

I think this works for some separate files specified explicitly, e.g. dhcp-hostsfile,
but the lease file is not reloaded on SIGHUP, but kept in memory and flushed from time to time...
That's also what the manpage suggests in the "NOTES" section.

I'm not sure if leases are destroyed when the corresponding entry in dhcp-hostsfile is removed and SIGHUP is sent. This might be a possibility,
but I would not expect that this destroys a still-valid lease.

But indeed I find "RemoveDhcpLease" in:
https://github.com/imp/dnsmasq/blob/master/dbus/DBus-interface

This would certainly be a possibility :-).

Cheers,
	Oliver