[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 with dnsmasq for automated deployments

Oliver Freyermuth o.freyermuth at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:14:24 BST 2018

Dear Roy,

Am 05.06.2018 um 13:34 schrieb Roy Marples:
> On 04/06/2018 11:49, Roy Marples wrote:
>> These problems are very nicely solved with RFC 6355 which adds DUID-UUID where UUID is taken from the hosts firmware. The UUID can then be displayed on the node alongside the MAC address for provisioning.
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6355
>>
>> The downside is that no client I know of supports this and I keep meaning to add support to dhcpcd for it.
>> The other downside is that not all hosts have a retrievable UUID as it depends on both the OS and host itself - for example some OS's present a UUID based on the CPUID. Of course this only works if all OS's generate the same UUID from the base data.
>
> I've just implemented DUID-UUID for dhcpcd.
> Patch here:
> https://roy.marples.name/git/dhcpcd.git/commit/?id=71981cab0e41ea2833489bc51307611727276aff
>
> Tested on NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and Linux.
> Unsure how to get system-uuid for Solaris or QNX at this time, which are the only other platforms dhcpcd works on (but isn't as well supported).

I finally managed to test this in my testing setup - it works perfectly fine!
Could you let me know once it's integrated upstream? I plan to open issues for dhclient, systemd-networkd etc. then and could reference that RFC6355 is already handled fine
in a very portable way on a wide range of OS by dhcpcd.

In a later step, I'll then ping the debian-installer and kickstart developers, since they should also adopt this (I think they use dhclient, but I may be wrong).

It's nice to see that dhcpcd is first on this :-).

All the best and many thanks,
	Oliver