[Dnsmasq-discuss] Question about the behavior of options 66 and 67

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Jul 25 21:35:05 BST 2018

On 25/07/18 19:03, Shankar Unni wrote:
> Thanks, Simon!
>
> I did discover this and figured out that we can specify it as —dhcp-boot=… and —dhcp-no-override.   But then these options will ALWAYS only be sent as bootp fields, right?
>
> Will there be an issue the other way, then? (I.e. some client that sends in options 66/67 in parameter request list and definitely expects them in the resultant DHCP options?)   Is there a way to make dnsmasq populate both (i.e. the bootp fields as well as DHCP option entries for 66 and 67?

I think is you specify dhcp boot and dhcp-bo-override and dhcp-option
fro 66 and 67 then the data will always be sent in the bootp fields, and
will be sent as options if requested. Experiment needed to be sure.

Like a lot of DHCP, this is a delicate balance of working around
mutually incompatible sets of "odd" client behaviour.