[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSSEC failure for dagjeuitactie.nl

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Oct 28 11:13:39 GMT 2018

There's a CNAME at the root of the domain, which is not permissible, and
the root cause of the validation failure.

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/why-cant-a-domain-s-root-be-a-cname-8cbab38e5f5c

gives some reasons why this is not a good idea.

What actually happens is that dnsmasq makes a query for the DS record
for dagjeuitactie.nl and gets back the CNAME, rather than NSEC records
from the parenet proving that the DS doesn't work. It's arguable that
this is not sensible behaviour, but the it's what happens, and it makes
it impossible for dnsmasq to do validation.

The easiest way to fix this is almost certainly to fix the domain.