[Dnsmasq-discuss] Initializing DNS

Mark Olbert Mark at arcabama.com
Fri Nov 16 16:39:20 GMT 2018

Apologies for raising what is probably a newbie question, but I’ve been unable to find an answer elsewhere despite several hours of online searching.

I am transferring the DHCP/DNS services provided by dnsmasq for my LAN from one device to another (the old device runs Debian wheezy; the new one runs Debian stretch).

A number of the devices on my LAN have fixed IP addresses. Some of these are statically-defined on the devices themselves, and others are always assigned the same address by virtue of entries in dnsmasq.conf like this:

dhcp-host=1C:6F:65:39:09:8D,colossus,10.0.0.8

This is all pretty straightforward, and has worked fine for years on the old device.

But what I’m noticing when I try to cut over to the new device is that the DNS service only appears to be resolving local LAN addresses for devices for which it has issued a DHCP lease. I had assumed that those fixed IP entries in dnsmasq.conf “initialized” the DNS service so that it would resolve them properly whether or not a lease had been issued.

Questions:

  *   Is there a way to configure dnsmasq to act the way I expected it to?

  *   If not, what’s the recommended way of addressing the situation? I could put the fixed IP addresses in /etc/hosts. But I’ve resisted doing that because of concerns over someday accidentally changing the DHCP assignment in dnsmasq.conf and forgetting to update the corresponding entry in hosts (or vice versa). It feels kludgy.

- Mark