[Dnsmasq-discuss] Config Parcing Bug

wkitty42 at gmail.com wkitty42 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 03:49:37 GMT 2019

On 1/11/19 7:22 PM, Tasnad Kernetzky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to report a bug (at least we belieave it is one). We had a
> short discussion over at the archlinux bugtracker
> (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60366).
>
> In short:
>
>> echo 'address=/ab--c.example.com/#' | dnsmasq --test -C -
>
>> dnsmasq: error at line 1 of stdin
>
> Althoug the URL is "forbidden":
>
>> host 'ab--c.example.com'
>> host: 'ab--c.example.com' is not a legal IDNA2008 name (string
> contains forbidden two hyphens pattern), use +noidnin

is that a punycode domain name? all the one's i've seen are written as

   xn--codehere.invalid

firefox has a specific option we set so we don't get taken in by look-alike
homographs... specifically the links with unicode characters in them are
displayed in their punycode form, xn--blahblah... these links explain more if
some folks don't know about this aspect of the DNS system...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name#ASCII_spoofing_concerns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDN_homograph_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode#Internationalized_domain_names