[Dnsmasq-discuss] Minimal capabilities for options

Mathieu Hofman ml-dnsmasq at matt-h.net
Sun Jan 20 10:38:46 GMT 2019

Running dnsmasq in docker currently requires explicitly granting the
NET_ADMIN capability for the container, or dnsmasq fails to start if
configured to drop root.

The failure is due to a capset() call that includes NET_ADMIN when dnsmasq
attempts to keep capabilities before dropping root. If the capability is
not already available, the call fails. If dnsmasq doesn't drop root, the
checks are skipped and it starts successfully without the capability, but
potentially fails later depending on the configured options.

>From what I gather, the NET_ADMIN capability is only needed to inject a
neighbor / ARP entry after receiving a DHCP request from a client so that
the response can be sent using unicast. The capability is not required if
the DHCP server is disabled or if the dhcp-broadcast option is used.

The NET_RAW capability is similarly needed to send an ICMP ping before
allocating an address for a client, but pings are not used if the DHCP
server is disabled or if the no-ping option is specified.

I would like to suggest 2 improvements to the way capabilities are handled
in dnsmasq:

1) Only try to keep capabilities which are actually needed according to the
configured options. If the DHCP server is disabled, do not keep (or request
if not available) the NET_ADMIN and NET_RAW capabilities. If the
dhcp-broadcast option is specified, do not include NET_ADMIN. If no-ping is
specified, do not include NET_RAW.
Currently the NET_BIND_SERVICE capability is kept only if DAD or dynamic
binding are required by the config. This suggestion would use similar logic
for the NET_ADMIN and NET_RAW capabilities.

2) Check that the capabilities required for the configuration are available
to the process when starting, and fail early if they are not. Currently
capabilities are not checked. It's only a side effect of the capset() call
when dropping root that dnsmasq will fail to start if a capability is
missing. If dnsmasq is configured to not drop privileges, such as starting
as a non-root user, or staying root without changing user, dnsmasq will
only fail later when attempting to use a feature requiring the capability.

Optionally, dnsmasq could try to automatically disable any configured
feature that relies on the missing capability, and probably warn such
action was taken in the logs. For the NET_RAW capability, it's probably not
possible to disable pings if the DHCP server is not authoritative as that
might be too risky. For the NET_ADMIN capability hopefully it's safe to
automatically switch to dhcp-broadcast.

For now, I'm working around the current capabilities handling by manually
dropping root and granting the required capabilities to dnsmasq before
executing it. Dnsmasq seem to run fine from what I can tell, but I've only
tested it in my environment.
My docker config for this is here:
https://gist.github.com/mhofman/cdd85a6baa4b9206830b254d0ab9bb89

To summarize the new suggested capabilities logic would be:
- Figure out the set of capabilities required for the configured options
(regardless of user config).
- Check if the process has the required capabilities. Fail if not, or
optionally gracefully degrade features and warn.
- If configured to drop root, call capset() only with required capabilities.

The current alternative is not acceptable in my opinion: keep running as
root (or worse, in debug mode).

This change would also help pi-hole which recently added code to check for
available capabilities before invoking dnsmasq. See
https://github.com/pi-hole/FTL/issues/432

A similar request was made in 2013:
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2013q2/007188.html

Mathieu