[Dnsmasq-discuss] Why making dnsmasq authoritative breaks CNAME resolution?

Wojtek Swiatek w at swtk.info
Mon Feb 4 08:04:46 GMT 2019

Hello,

After posting a question on Serverfault.com I thought that this list may be
more suitable as my problem seems to really be a configuration issue.

I have a `CNAME` set up in dnsmasq as

    cname=ch1-lampe-bureau.swtk.info,switch-3

It is resolved correctly (`switch-3` is a device which gets its IP via DHCP
from dnsmasq):

    root at rpi1 ~# host switch-3
    switch-3 has address 10.200.0.123
    root at rpi1 ~# host ch1-lampe-bureau.swtk.info
    ch1-lampe-bureau.swtk.info is an alias for switch-3.
    switch-3 has address 10.200.0.123

I then wanted to make dnsmasq authoritative for my domain by adding

    auth-zone=swtk.info
    auth-server=rpi1.swtk.info
    auth-peer=192.168.0.13

Zone-transfer wise, it works: `192.168.0.13` can transfer the zone.

But the resolution of `CNAME`s stopped. I can still resolve `A` records
(`switch-3` above for instance), `CNAME`s are not.

    root at rpi1 ~# host switch-3
    switch-3 has address 10.200.0.123
    root at rpi1 ~# host ch1-lampe-bureau.swtk.info
    Host ch1-lampe-bureau.swtk.info not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

What is the relationship between dnsmasq being authoritative and its abilty
to resolve its `CNAME`s?*

Note: this is an internal DNS, with no relationship with the `swtk.info`
domain registered externally.