[Dnsmasq-discuss] Query forwarding behaviour with multiple name servers.

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri Feb 8 10:47:27 GMT 2019

Aha! I know this (it’s a Unix system… /<JURASSIC PARK>)

> On 8 Feb 2019, at 09:49, John Robson <jrobson at zenoss.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to understand the mechanism by which dnsmasq uses the resolvers specified (in this case they are all specified in /etc/resolv.conf).
> Specifically I am trying to work out why dnsmasq is (erratically) sending the same query to multiple servers, and not listening beyond the first response.
<snip>
> Two questions:
>  - What triggers dnsmasq to forward a query to multiple upstream resolvers (aside from the first query after startup, which seems reasonable)

From src/config.h
#define FORWARD_TEST 50 /* try all servers every 50 queries */
#define FORWARD_TIME 20 /* or 20 seconds */

The thread http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2018q2/012226.html

>  - Why does dnsmasq not bother to listen for the second (or more) response - which would surely be useful in terms of timing/aliveness information, as well as less odd for the upstream server*.

Now that I cannot answer.

Cheers,

Kevin D-B

012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A