[Dnsmasq-discuss] Cannot send dhcp option 12 hostname to clients

Kevin Flynn kevflynn69 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 23:21:58 BST 2019

On 5/14/19 3:15 PM, john doe wrote:
> On 5/14/2019 6:42 PM, Kevin Flynn wrote:
>>
>> hostnames to clients. I've tried all the obvious methods, including
>> /etc/ethers, dhcp-hostsfile entries, dhcp-ignore-names,
>> dhcp-generate-names, tag sets, etc. with no luck.
>> So in summary, is there any way to tell dnsmasq to send a dhcp option 12
>> hostname to a client reliably, everytime, regardless of what the client
>> is sending ?
>>

> Why not using the MAC address of those devices in dnsmasq?

> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html
>
> --
> John Doe

I have tried using dhcp-host lines, as well as using a dhcp-hostsfile.
which according to the man page are equivalent. These are the methods I
am using to assign an ip address to each ATA box via MAC address.

Dnsmasq successfully sends them a domain name, a network time service
address, a pair of DNS server addresses, a netmask and gateway address, etc.

I cannot get dnsmasq to send an "option 12 hostname." I need to send all
of the above into in the dhcp offer and in addition, set the hostname of
the client regardless of what hostname the client thinks it is, because
I have 2 clients who assign themselves the same hostname.

Kevin