[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMASQ used to force redirection for testing. IPv6 transport issue.

Mcginniss, David S [CTO] David.McGinniss at sprint.com
Fri Jun 7 15:48:44 BST 2019

All,

I have loaded DDWRT on a small router and I am having the issue as follows.

I have set an IP for a FQDN as follows.

listen-address=127.0.0.1
listen-address=::1
address=/FQDN/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
The if a WiFi UE makes an A record query over IPv4 transport all is well and I am able to force connection to the XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX node I am testing.  The GTM serving the DNS has many geographic nodes and within regions many nodes served round robin.  The problem is when dual stack clients attach they prefer IPv6 and will send their A record query out over IPv6 and get another IP from the GTM pool. This is correct behavior the devices do both AAAA and A record searches over IPv6.

It is these clients that I am testing with and to make testing valid I need to leave them in out of the box condition.

I need to have the Router reply to the IPv6 A record query with my fixed address and I haven't been able to figure out how to force it to do so.

Anyone who has already tackled this and could enlighten me from this list?

David S. McGinniss
Sr. Telecom Engineer
O: 913-315-0262 /M 630-926-3184
david.mcginniss at sprint.com<mailto:david.mcginniss at sprint.com>
[Macintosh HD:Users:stephanie.laemoa:Desktop:moveforward_1.png]