[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmaq on OpenWRT, configuration question

Art Greenberg art at artg.tv
Sat Jul 27 18:28:59 BST 2019

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019, at 12:42, john doe wrote:

> Not strictly an answer, but don't forget that Dnsmasq is normaly
> configured using OpenWRT.
> So, if you were able to get everything working previously, there is no
> reason why you can't do it here.
>

> In other words, OpenWrt might be the culprit and not Dnsmasq.
>
> --
> John Doe

Well, yes and no. OpenWRT is "just" a Linux distro. The maintainers have adopted a very clever configuration scheme that unifies (almost) all of the configuration and makes configuration possible entirely through a web-based interface.

But ... I wrested control of dnsmasq from that schema. I have a very conventional dnsmasq setup with my own config files just like I had previously on CentOS.

I think its more that all DNS request now pass through dnsmasq, while previously I could arrange for some not to. And I'm not clever enough to figure out how to tell dnsmasq how to not respond to DNS requests from certain hosts on my network without resorting to running multiple instances of dnsmasq.

--
Art Greenberg
art at artg.tv