[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmaq on OpenWRT, configuration question

Art Greenberg art at artg.tv
Sat Jul 27 21:01:13 BST 2019

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019, at 15:45, Andrew Miskell wrote:
> What do the devices say their DNS server is? If it’s the .1 address
> this would expected behavior because that’s the dnsmasq dns address.

I cannot tell what the Roku streamers have assigned. The UI doesn't expose that information.

In the previous configuration, with dnsmasq on 192.168.2.11 and the gateway on .1, they DID properly go directly to the router on as directed by dhcp-option while everything else on the network went to .11 as expected. So either they defaulted to the gateway address for DNS or they accepted the assignment from DHCP. They do ask for option 6, I can see the DHCP request and response in the log. That much looks correct.

In this configuration, I've told them to use Google servers.

I don't know enough about how DNS works, but ... maybe they have accepted that assignment, but the first DNS server in the request chain is dnsmasq - and it answers rather than relays the request to Google's servers because dnsmasq "knows" the answer - its in the addn-hosts file.

Does that make sense?

--
Art Greenberg
art at artg.tv