[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmaq on OpenWRT, configuration question

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Sun Jul 28 14:31:58 BST 2019

On 7/28/2019 1:46 PM, Art Greenberg wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2019, at 02:41, Geert Stappers wrote:
>> I think that "aren't so happy" needs elaboration.
>
> I don't know if you're familiar with the Roku. Its a streaming platform, and service providers like Netflix and HBO have written applications that run on the platform to play their "entertainment" content. Some of those applications insert advertising into that content in real time - the advertisements are not embedded in the content. When the application detects that its unable to source advertising, it refuses to play the content.
>
>>> Yet when they make a DNS request, its being processed by dnsmasq
>>
>> That is _not supposed_ to happen.
>
>>> and the add-hosts files are being consulted,
>>
>> Because the "red" hosts are on the wrong track ...
>
> OK.
>
>>> Is there a simpler way to deal with this?
>>
>> Yes and you are almost there.
>>
>> Explore why red hosts resolve via 192.168.2.1, they shouldn't.
>
> OK.
>
>>> I cannot tell what the Roku streamers have assigned. The UI doesn't expose that information.
>>
>> Report that annoying inconvenience at https://support.roku.com/en-gb/
>
> Hahaha. I'll certainly try that. If there isn't already a hidden way to get that information, don't have any expectation that asking for something like that to be implemented will do much good in the short term, at least.

This might void your warranty but accessing the Roku using Telnet might
be worth a try 'telnet roku-ip-address 8085' (1).

On the roku, can you specify the DNS server(s) manually?

The URL (2) was found when googling.

1)
https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/developer-program/debugging/debugging-channels.md
2)