[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSSEC slow query / TCP/ truncated issue

Dominic Preston lzqhwo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 12:04:41 BST 2019

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 08:29, Geert Stappers <stappers at hendrikx-itc.nl> wrote:

> On 14-08-2019 23:09, Dominic Preston wrote:

> >>  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=test+MTU+size  does hint `ping`
> >>
> >> I don't know how well it goes in this situation.
> >>

> >> Road that I would explore is how to mimic the dnsmasq request to
> >> upstream DNS with `dig`.
> >>
> >> My attempt with `dig @8.8.8.8 pir.org ANY` returns "MSG SIZE  rcvd: 2509",
> >> but no sign of ";; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode."
> >>
> >> Interresting problem.
> >>

> > Just to check, are you testing on Google Cloud too Geert?
> >
> > `dig @8.8.8.8 pir.org ANY` works fine for me too.
> >

> No, I'm not on Google Cloud.
>

> Regards
>
> Geert Stappers
>
> DevOps Engineer at Hendrikx-ITC

I can replicate the issue on Google Cloud simply by issuing (dig
@8.8.8.8 +dnssec org DNSKEY) and (dig @1.1.1.1 +dnssec org DNSKEY) so
it's actually nothing to do with Dnsmasq, it's just where I first
realised there's an issue.

Apparently Google Cloud's network breaks EDNS!

Thanks for all the help received,
Dom.