[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq won't run on Debian 10.1 buster for O.P.

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Oct 14 07:57:58 BST 2019

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 07:33:10AM +0200, john doe wrote:
> On 10/13/2019 10:17 PM, Guillaume B. wrote:
> > I need dnsmasq for its min-cache-ttl option and other options like
> > clear-on-reload, stop-dns-rebind and dns-loop-detect, that can't be
> > configured with solely dnsmasq-base.
> >
> > I tried installing resolvconf and kept it virgin but it didn't change the
> > fact that with dnsmasq installed I still couldn't get a DHCP lease from my
> > router. Maybe you have some configuration options for resolvconf to suggest
> > me for it to work.
> >

> I don't see how I can help you further other then:
> - Have you looked in the log when it is not working
> - The internet (the one connected to your upstream dhcp server)
> interface is 'excluded' ('except-interface=')
>
> If my understanding is correct you only need the DNS capability of
> dnsmasq, consider disabling the internal DHCP server.
>

> If I may, I would sort things out without NM then I would bring it back
> into the mix! :)

Yeah NM, Network Manager, is great for computers that travel phyiscally
to other WIFI networks. People usualy call those computers "laptops".

Were I don't understand the use case of Dnsmasq for the Original Poster,
I do think that the expectations of O.P. are based on ignorance.
The advice of John Doe on learning to known Dnsmasq without NM is wise.

> P.S.
>
> Posting on 'debian-user' maling list might be useful because it does
> look to me like it is a Dnsmasq issue.
} look to me like it is not a Dnsmasq issue.
more an "user issue" ...

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--