[Dnsmasq-discuss] 1 IP for all requests

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Fri Oct 18 21:25:36 BST 2019

it's basically low budget HA.
"how can we swap out this server and not have it's IP hard coded into it's
config?"
(server = box hosing mmqt server)
Where its config is its local drive and conf files.
It lets the dhcp server control all the IPs.  which may change over time,
and the server and replacement server image don't care because they and
everything else on the LAN will do dhcp.

The problem got kicked down the road.   current solution: "if we are
swapping out server hardware, someone can poke the dhcp server and make it
release the lease."

I'm pretty sure this is the answer:
 /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
#send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;

I think I can set
send dhcp-client-identifier foo;
on both servers, and both will be seen as "the same" to the dhcp server, as
if the first box had been power cycled.

--
Carl K