[Dnsmasq-discuss] CNAME trouble with no AAAA

Dominick C. Pastore dominickpastore at dcpx.org
Sun Oct 20 17:55:44 BST 2019

I apologize for continuing the discussion on this. The patch (applied on top of 2.80-1 provided by Debian Buster) completely solved the issues I was having, but I did notice a couple other things.

First, locally configured CNAMEs and records other than A or AAAA do not seem to play well together. For example, MX and TXT requests still get forwarded upstream, even after the patch. I played around with this a bit and discovered:

1. Unlike "host-record", "txt-record" and "mx-host" on the target are not enough to keep Dnsmasq from ignoring a locally defined CNAME. (I did not try others, like "srv-host".)

2. In fact, Dnsmasq never follows a CNAME for MX or TXT requests, even when the CNAME does point to a host Dnsmasq knows locally. (I assume this is the reason for #1.)

Second, it seems that when Dnsmasq caches a NXDOMAIN response from upstream, it starts giving a NODATA response for other request types on the same name. Strangely, log-queries indicates the requests are forwarded, but right after a SIGHUP to clear the cache, sending one of the NODATA queries results in NXDOMAIN.

Neither of these are actually causing problems in my case, but I suspect this isn't intended behavior either, so it seemed worth mentioning.

Nick