[Dnsmasq-discuss] Why does dnsmasq append .home to a plain hostname?

Uwe Schindler uwe at thetaphi.de
Tue Oct 22 06:08:51 BST 2019

Hi,

The reason for this is a “default domain” entry in the Windows 7 laptop configuration, so it is sent by the client in the case of a missing domain. It was not added by dnsmasq, but by the Windows client.

On the other hand, this still resolves, because you seem to also have a “domain = home” in your dnsmasq config, so the “mymovies” entry working also for the deafult domain on the dnsmasq side. As the windows device (using dnsmasq also for DHCP) gets the default domain by the above entry.

I am not sure what your problem is, to me it looks like it’s configured correctly. If you want “.ncp” your preferred domain, set “domain = ncp” and only keep the first entry.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen