[Dnsmasq-discuss] inconsistent use of a server=/example.com/<ip_addr> specification

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Nov 25 22:39:36 GMT 2019

On Mon, 2019-11-25 at 22:44 +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:

> note twice a query on NS of example.com

Yes.  That is part of my original report.  I query it twice and it
returns inconsistent results.

> # dig +short @127.0.0.1 example.com. ns
> > server.example.com.
> > # dig +short @127.0.0.1 mail.example.com.
> > 9.1.1.18
> > # dig +short @127.0.0.1 interlinx.bc.ca. ns
>
> Hey, that one was not in the original post.

Oh damnit.  Was just doing a bit of anonymizing and missed one.  That
will teach me not to use tools for that.  In any case "interlinx.bc.ca"
should actually be "example.com" to maintain consistency of the report.

> Back to what the original problem is.  (explain what
>   inconsistent use of a server=/example.com/<ip_addr> specification
> is supposed to mean)

It's inconsistent in that multiple queries for example.com's NSes
return inconsistent results.  Sometimes it returns the address
configured with:

server=/example.com/10.75.22.247

(i.e. returns 10.75.22.247) and other times it returns the addresses
configured on the global Internet for the NSes for example.com.  But it
shouldn't be doing that.  The above server=/example.com/10.75.22.247
should be preventing any lookup of example.com's NSes from anywhere.
They should be "fixed" in dnsmasq's configuration to be 10.75.22.247
per the above server= configuration.

Cheers,
b.