[Dnsmasq-discuss] Struggling with multiple nameservers

Harry Moyes boss at northfrost.com
Wed Jan 1 15:36:33 GMT 2020

I have a Raspberry Pi configured with two dummy interfaces in addition
to the default Ethernet interface.

I have a workable configuration on the pi with unbound and NSD on the
two virtual interfaces, and dnsmasq on the Ethernet and loopback interfaces.

Workable that is with this package loaded. (present default raspbian
default install)

dnsmasq/stable,now2.76-5+rpt1+deb9u1 all[installed] dnsmasq-
base/stable,now2.76-5+rpt1+deb9u1 armhf [installed,automatic]

and this config fragment:

bind-interfaces
listen-address=172.25.25.146listen-address=127.0.0.1server=192.168.55.9
no-dhcp-interface=eth0
no-dhcp-interface=dummy0
no-dhcp-interface=dummy1

This setup is fully functional and does all I ask.

**However**

I'm actually trying to run pihole-FTL on the Pi, rather than dnsmasq
directly, which I'm told, includes a locally derived version of dnsmasq 2.8.

That derivative version appears to ignore the bind-interfaces directive,
and thus fails to bind the name server ports, even though the specified
interfaces are free.

The developers of that derivative are convinced that functionally their
derivative imports 2.8 in its entirety,simply adds additional monitoring
hooks.

I'm obviously not expecting assistance with the pihole-FTP but I'd
really appreciate any hints of changes intentional or otherwise, that
may affect the behaviour of "mainline" dnsmasq with respect its
behaviour binding the wildcard interface, that may have taken place
between 2.76 and 2.8 to try to understand where the change in behaviour
comes from.

I'm pretty much convinced I need to build and test a mainline version of
dnsmasq 2.8 from source, to localise where the issue is coming from,
but I thought I'd respectfully ask here in case someone here can point
me in the right direction.

Harry