[Dnsmasq-discuss] Struggling with multiple nameservers

Dominik dl6er at dl6er.de
Sun Jan 12 19:48:53 GMT 2020

Hey all,

I may speak up as the main developer of Pi-hole's dnsmasq fork. We
embed dnsmasq into our daemon. The "dnsmasq -v" functionality is not
"gone", it just moved one step away as dnsmasq is only contained and
not the main application in our setup.

So this statement is simply not true.
> The pihole derivative has lost that rather useful feature, so
exactly what options it has been complied with is hard to tell.

Use
pihole-FTL -v
to get the version of our daemon.

Use
pihole-FTL -- -v
to get the version of the embedded dnsmasq.

I can already tell you that it will bring up
> Dnsmasq version pi-hole-2.80  Copyright (c) 2000-2018 Simon Kelley
> Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP
DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify
dumpfile

This issue has been extensively discussed here as well:
https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/struggling-with-pihole-ftl/26473
and I have to admit that it's still not clear what was/is the error but
it looks like a user induced one. Also because the problem just
"disappeared" after some config changes that, apparently, cannot be
isolated any more.

I also already mentioned how to obtain the embedded dnsmasq's version
here on Jan 1st, 2020:
https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/struggling-with-pihole-ftl/26473/39?u=dl6er
which was one week before the original poster claimed that we removed
this intentionally ... interesting to see how perspectives can differ.

Best regards,
Dominik