[Dnsmasq-discuss] pxe-service line for UEFI system?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Jan 20 20:28:41 GMT 2020

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:40:28PM +0100, Michal Zatloukal wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 at 21:45, Geert Stappers wrote:

> > > Patches welcome
> > >

> > Longer version:
> > * Seen the postings
> > * Seen that something needs some extra configuration
> > * What is expected from the dnsmasq project is not seen
> >
> > Please do make the extra mile
> > and express how dnsmasq could be better.
> >

> What is expected of dnsmasq - a DHCP offer with either a populated
> menu, or a populated boot-filename option. As mentioned in the OP,
> currently dnsmasq provides broken menu (no items present) and empty
> boot-filename, unless another "phantom" boot option is also defined
> (in which case it provides the populated menu).
>
> I looked over the dnsmasq docs again and noticed this bit in pxe-prompt:
> } If --pxe-prompt is omitted the system will wait for user input if
> } there are multiple items in the menu, but boot immediately if there
> } is only one.
> As I understand it, if pxe-prompt is defined in the config, the
> services should be sent regardless of their count. So that's a bug,
> unless...
> I also looked at the changelog and found this in the 2.76 release:
>
> > Workaround problems with UEFI PXE clients. There exist
> > in the wild PXE clients which have problems with PXE
> > boot menus. To work around this, when there's a single
> > --pxe-service which applies to client, then that target
> > will be booted directly, rather then sending a
> > single-item boot menu.
>
> It seems like these 2 parts of the code are interacting incorrectly.
> 1) the pxe-service exit item is ignored, that's why the phantom option is needed
> 2) if pxe-prompt is explicitly defined, what _is_ supposed to happen
> for UEFI clients?
> TBH, I don't see why this UEFI issue even requires a UEFI-specific
> code workaround - shouldn't a config like this [1] avoid the problems,
> no code workaround needed?
>
> MZ
>
> [1]
> dhcp-match=set:efi-x86_64,option:client-arch,7
> dhcp-match=set:efi-x86_64,option:client-arch,9
> pxe-prompt=tag:!efi-x86_64,"dnsmasq PXE menu"
> pxe-service=7,...
> pxe-service=9,...

Seen it.  I still don't understand the OP problem.
For some reason I do feel my wish to improve dnsmasq
is getting in the way.  I'm gonna spend my energy elsewhere.

Advise to Original Poster:  Make your problem reproducable.
The idea of it is getting a "shared problem". And from
a shared problem to get to a shared solution.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven