[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS/host lookup delay, how to diagnose?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Feb 19 22:16:17 GMT 2020

I have a small home LAN with a number of machines running (mostly)
xubuntu versions 19,10 and 18.04.

I have a local DNS/DHCP server machine (a Raspberry Pi) running
dnsmasq.

If I reboot one of my machines and then do a DNS query using 'host'
for a local machine the first (and only the first) response takes a
long time.  The correct IP address is returned instantly but then
there is a long (5 seconds) delay before getting back to the command
prompt.  Subsequent searches are much faster.

Presumably the faster subsequent responses are down to the local DNS
cache in the client machine but why am I getting that five second
delay for the first request?

How can I diagnose this?

--
Chris Green