[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS/host lookup delay, how to diagnose?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Feb 20 06:36:02 GMT 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:16:17PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> I have a small home LAN with a number of machines running (mostly)
> xubuntu versions 19,10 and 18.04.
>
> I have a local DNS/DHCP server machine (a Raspberry Pi) running dnsmasq.

ambiguous, Because I can read

} I have a local DNS/DHCP server machine implemented by running dnsmasq.
} I have a local DNS/DHCP server machine that is also running dnsmasq.

> If I reboot one of my machines and then do a DNS query using 'host'
> for a local machine the first (and only the first) response takes a
> long time.  The correct IP address is returned instantly but then
> there is a long (5 seconds) delay before getting back to the command
> prompt.  Subsequent searches are much faster.
>
> Presumably the faster subsequent responses are down to the local DNS
> cache in the client machine but why am I getting that five second
> delay for the first request?
>
> How can I diagnose this?

Chart all compoments, shared the new map with us, tell again the situation.

Regards
Geert Stappers

P.S.
Here is assumed that original poster found in manual page:

  --log-queries
          Log the results of DNS queries handled by dnsmasq.
--
Leven en laten leven