[Dnsmasq-discuss] Sending user-specified default gateway with RAs

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 11:25:57 GMT 2020

On Sunday 23 February 2020 11:41:47 William Edwards wrote:
> Question: how do I configure dnsmasq to supply a user-specified default gateway address in RAs?

Hello William! This is not possible as IPv6 gateway (router) address is
not present in RA packet structure. If client receives RA packet it
expects that sender of RA packet is gateway (router).

So if you do not have dnsmasq on your router, you must disable RA in
dnsmasq. And enable RA on your real IPv6 router.

In IPv6 network it is expected that RA is sent only by IPv6 router. RA
means Router Advertisement and only real router should advertise that is
router.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com