[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-script not being called with "del"

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Feb 23 21:34:12 GMT 2020

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 09:57:20PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 08:41:28PM +0100, William Edwards wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a 'dhcp-script'. It is being called with "add" and "old" upon
> > requesting DHCP lease, but when a lease expires,
> > it is not called with "del".
> >
> > To test, I changed lease time to 1 minute and kept an eye on
> > /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases . After 1 minute, the lease disappeared
> > from /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases (thus expired).
> > However, the 'dhcp-script' was not called.
> >
> > How could I start researching this issue?
> >

> Go see what dnsmasq can see from the client.

I might be wrong that starting `dhcp-script` is only triggered
by DHCP-event from the DHCP-client.  Manual page says only
  "del" means it has been destroyed
It doesn't say what destroys a lease.  I was thinking "DHCP release",
but I'm not sure about it.  However: a network sniff never harms.

Regards
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse